Monday, December 6, 2010

I Made It Mondays: DIY Wedding Painted Vases

This past weekend, I took a trip to the 99 cent store in search of my latest and greatest DIY project for the wedding. I came across this idea at Style Me Pretty and wanted to try it for myself.  It turned out pretty good (for my first time) and only took about 20 minutes to do!  Let me know what you think and if you have other tips for me. 



What you need:
1. Assorted empty bottles and vases (all shapes, sizes, and textures)
2. Spray paint - $4.99-$5.99 at Hobby Lobby
3. Gloves - I suggest a couple pairs since the paint dries quickly and can get sticky
4. Rubbing Alcohol - To clean the vases
5. Newspaper - To line the floor


Instructions:
1. Clean and dry bottles and vases thoroughly with rubbing alcohol.
2. Put on gloves and hold spray paint at least 6-8 inches away from vase.
3. In a well ventilated area, spray paint items with several light coats of paint to cover entire piece. Allow each coat to dry completely before spraying the next.

NOTE: Resist the urge to "over" spray or the paint will drip down the vase.  It's better to spray a little to cover the entire vase and repeat this several times. Also, do not spray too close as this will give the same dripping effect.

4. Wait about 15-20 minutes or until completely dry.
5. Add flowers of your choice with water and there you have it!  An inexpensive and elegant look! 

0 comments: